Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cookies You Can Eat For Breakfast


I have a bit of a cookie problem.  Once I start, I find it VERY hard to stop.  And a cookie for breakfast? Definitely, yes.  So, when I make cookies anymore, I try to up the health factor just a little.  I find it helps reduce the guilt factor.

For these cookies, I just followed the recipe on the inside of the lid on the Quaker Oat tub.  But, I of course had to make a few adjustments.  First of all, I reduced the granulated sugar by 1/4 cup.  For the flour, they called for a cup and a half.  I used 3/4 cup all purpose (unbleached) and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour.  I also added a rounded tablespoon of ground flax meal and about one tablespoon (maybe slightly less than that) of whole flax seed.  I like to have a dried fuit in my oatmeal cookies but I was out of both raisins and dried cranberries but I did have some dried figs.  I put the figs (I think there were about 8 of them) in a saucepan, covered them with boiling water and let them soften up for about 5 minutes.  When they were soft enough, I sliced them up along with a handful of raw almonds.  Fold the the figs, almonds and a handful (about 1/2 cup) of dark chocolate chips to the cookie dough.  Scoop the dough out onto your baking sheets and then sprinkle the top with some raw pumpkin seeds and a tiny bit of kosher salt (so yummy).  Bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes.  I like to take my cookies out of the oven when they're still slightly underdone in the center.  Let them finish cooking for a few minutes outside of the oven--this keeps them nice and moist and chewy.  Enjoy!

Oh, as for the salt on top of the cookie--this is so good if you like sweet/salty combinations.  I used unsalted butter in the dough and did add the salt they called for in the dry ingredients.  But if you're using salted butter, I would probably reduce the amount of salt you add to the dry mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment